Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA) has been in the code book for decades. Any application that allows for copper conductor will also allow for CCA conductor. For the longest time, lower copper markets have dissuaded the use of CCA, simply because of economics.
Typically, the CCA is one gauge size larger than the equivalent amperage version of copper conductor. Now that copper indexes and associated products are priced well above long term averages, it makes the copper clad product a more economical solution in a big way even after upsizing the conductor gauge.
- Economical – roughly 15-25% savings vs. standard copper wire even after upsizing conductors (12/2 bimetal vs 14/2 copper… 10/2 bimetal vs 12/2 copper… etc.)
- More price stability vs standard copper Romex
- Light weight and easy to maneuver – CCA is approximately 2x lighter than copper product.
- Uses standard copper terminations, wire nuts, devices, connectors, etc. All devices rated for copper are rated for CCA.
- Energy efficient due to larger conductors – 7% less voltage drop than copper conductor equivalents
- Copper bonded exterior prevents wire slip that 100% aluminum conductors experienced in 70’s
- More flexible – easier to bend in tight spaces and junction boxes
- Theft Deterrent – zero scrap value
- UL Listed and NEC Approved
Read more on Copperweld’s website or contact your Biben Sales associate in Eastern PA, Southern NJ, DE, MD, DC, or Northern VA for a demo and more information.